This very simple recipe combines the hearty taste of roast vegetables and white wine with the fresh tang of lemon and herbs. The zucchini can be replaced with another vegetable of your choice, such as pumpkin, sweet potato, or whatever you love best! Another tasty addition is a few anchovy fillets added to the vegetables while roasting which is my secret ingredient and adds a delicious salty taste. Pasta is a low GI food, but not low in GL, because it is high in carbohydrate per serve. The advantage of this recipe is that it bulks up the sauce with filling beans and vegetables which are high in protein and fibre and will reduce the overall carbohydrate serving size and GL of the meal.
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- 500g chicken breast fillet
- 4-5 garlic cloves peeled and chopped in half
- 1 punnet of baby roma tomatoes
- 2 zucchini’s, sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup veal or chicken stock
- 1 lemon
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil, parsley, oregano to taste (I use about half a cup of basil leaves, a cup of chopped parsley leaves and a few sprigs of oregano leaves)
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. In a medium sized ovenproof roasting plan place the chopped garlic (bar 1 clove), tomatoes (whole), zucchini slices, white wine and stock with a pinch of salt.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- While cooking, heat a heavy based fry pan to high. When hot, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, remaining garlic clove chopped, and chicken sliced into small pieces. Sear until brown on both sides. If the pan starts to go brown, add a small amount of white wine and lower the heat slightly to deglaze* (see below) the pan.
- When cooked through, add to roasting vegetables and return to the oven.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse a can of white beans and set aside.
- Boil a large pot of water with a splash of olive oil and two teaspoons of salt to cook the pasta. When water is boiled, add 500g of pasta of your choice. We like fettucini. Time pasta cooking as per the directions on the packet.
- Drain pasta, stir in white beans and roast vegetables, mix in chopped fresh herbs, squeeze a quarter of a lemon over each bowl when serving and top with a small amount of grated parmesan.
*Definition for Deglaze from “Epicurius” An online food lovers dictionary.